Friday, December 25, 2009

MARQ KAYLOR Salad House


Enough about me, lets talk about Mr. Marq Kaylor (CexFucx, Thee Oregon Artificial Limb Co., Cells, Au, Rubella, Bunny, solo, Kinetic Harpoon, Htoo Trio, Ghost to Falco, Portland Bike Ensemble, etc etc) booked here as Hammer of Hathor, but Heather Vergotis was not able to play that night, so it ended up a solo performance. a mono recording. The pitch was not in the proper position, so the actual tape plays slow at normal speed, but I did my best to pitch it to what i remember based on the ride cymbal. I love his style. Not a lot of flash or pummeling rock tricks, just good sounds and lots of control. no flailing going on here. very disciplined and deliberate, building piece by piece, starting with one drum, and eventually revealing the full kit after much teasing. I haven't found this with most musicians, but he could hit one drum once, and if i were blindfolded, I would know from that one sound that it was him. That is exactly how distinct his style is.

a wav file
http://www.sendspace.com/file/qbevqz

Marq's band
http://www.myspace.com/hammerofhathor

No comments:

Post a Comment